The curriculum for 7th graders focuses on a portion of the elements and principles of design. The elements that are explored in class will help to create the backbone of student's middle school art experience. Line, value, color, texture and repetition are all investigated through the various projects completed in class. Students will develop observation and technical skills in drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, and various other art mediums.
The student will:
- Identify and create artwork based on the elements of art and on the principles of art.
- Demonstrate through their artwork how to use the elements of art to show movement and express feelings.
- Recognize, compare and use different media to create their artwork.
- Develop a respect and appreciation for the artwork of artists, including classmates' art.
- Recognize and compare differences in several art mediums.
- Create representational and abstract art.
- Learn to create depth in a 2-dimensional artwork using one and two point perspective.
- Communicate thoughts, feelings and experiences to others through art.
- Understand terms that are basic to art media, procedures and techniques, as well as art appreciation.
- Maintain a sketchbook for a variety of drawing assignments to perfect their hand-eye ability and drawing skill.
7th Grade students will develop an understanding of how generating ideas and planning can lead to expressive creations. Students will also have a better understanding of how color theory influences artists. Artists will communicate meaning through the visual arts.
What are the four blending techniques used in still life creation?
What makes a successful composition?
What is color theory?
How does an artist begin his or her work?
What are the elements and principles of design?